DFSee is the Swiss Army knife to examine your disks and other storage media in great detail. It allows you to view, analyze and fix partition tables, browse file systems without having to mount them (NTFS, FAT16/32, ExFAT, HPFS, JFS, ext2/3/4, ReiserFS, HFS for MAC), undelete files, clone, back up and restore filesystems, and more.
DFSee is multi-platform and runs on DOS, OS/2 (and derivative operating systems, such as ArcaOS and eComStation), Windows (XP through Win 10), Linux, and MacOS X. In case of emergency there is also a standalone version which runs from a bootable CD or USB stick.
- View, analyze, edit, and fix MBR partition tables, including move and copy
- Support for GPT partitioning schemes, including move, copy, and resize
- Display, analyze, and fix issues in various filesystems
- Browse directories and files in most filesystems, including deleted files for some
- Replacement for FDISK and OS/2 LVM (Logical Volume Manager) tools
- Clone, back up, and restore entire disks, partitions, and/or filesystems
- Access compressed DFSee (backup) images, and copy files from them (restore)
- Access VirtualBox disk images, allowing all normal DFSee functions
- Split large images into smaller pieces suitable for burning to CD or DVD
- Hex editor, including ASCII and disassembler viewing modes
- Scriptable recovery, analysis, or partitioning
Although there is only one binary version of DFSee, there are two types of licenses available: Standard for personal use and Professional for, well, professional use. Both provide an upgrade path from older versions of DFsee. The Standard version also has a bulk package for 10 users, including an upgrade. The Professional cross-upgrade is for those who want to upgrade their Standard license to Professional.
In addition, there are Support and Sponsor Units; they are intended to sponsor the developer of DFSee or requested in some cases of extensive support.
DFsee will run on almost anything that has an x86 CPU in it.
Note for upgraders
If you purchased a license (new or upgrade) on or after October 7, 2016, you should already have a valid key for version 14. To confirm, simply select Help | About from the main menu. The RgKey status will show the key version. If you already have a valid key for version 14, simply download the new version from dfsee.com and install.
Download the version you require from dfsee.com. There are packages available for multiple operating systems and images (ISO) for USB stick or CD. This version will work for 30 days without a license key. However, you should receive your license key immediately by email when you buy DFSee from Arca Noae.
For Windows, you may need to be logged on with an administrator account. On Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 10) you may need to do that by using the ‘Run as administrator’ option (available from the right mouse button menu). Also, make sure the ‘User Access Control (UAC) is NOT set to the maximum security level in ‘Control Panel -> Security Settings.
For Linux, root access is required.
When you have purchased your DFSee license, please read the following instructions on how to install your DFSee key.
This is not a beginner’s tool! It is written for system administrator and power users. If used incorrectly, it may lead to unexpected results, including data-loss.