As announced at Warpstock 2016, ArcaOS 5.0 (codenamed Blue Lion) is currently scheduled for general availability March 31, 2017.
The movement into 2017 was necessary to ensure a finished product with the slate of planned features, including:
- New XWorkplace (just released) with ArcaOS exclusive branding and features (e.g., the new Arca Noae Removable Device widget);
- New desktop productivity apps, including DVD Tools, Archive Tool, Dynamic Icons, ArcaBar, Lucide Document Viewer, and much more;
- New network filesystem connectivity;
- New operating system kernel, with fixes and enhancements to better manage today’s larger applications, including Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and Apache OpenOffice;
- New kernel loader to address shortcomings in IBM’s last version, and to provide some useful new features, such as use of installed system memory above 4GB as a RAM disk;
- New installer, completely built from the ground up for ArcaOS;
- New installation options, better suited to today’s systems, both bare metal and virtual;
- Integration of latest RPM-provided content;
- Integration of latest Arca Noae device drivers;
- Updated SNAP accelerated video driver;
- Much, much more…
The above list is not final, nor are all components assured to be in the release of ArcaOS 5.0, but they have been in the plan and in the works for some time.
We know that everyone is anxious for this release, and we share your enthusiasm! All we ask is that you bear with us a little while longer while we get things fully assembled and tested to better assure a smooth installation and operating experience.
Many happy returns of the season from the team at Arca Noae, and best wishes for a truly bright 2017!